News Research Archive
Search an archive of past research stories.
- Coverage of OSU Research
- Reports on national news coverage
of university research.
- Reporting on Cancer
- A reporter's guide to the disease.
- Science Communications Staff
Who we are and what we do.
(Last updated 11/20/02)
A background document on the LBT project
and Ohio State's role in it can be found here.
for the Large Binocular Telescope
- December: LBT construction site partially cleared
- June: Clearing of the LBT construction site resumes
- January: Casting of first 8.4m mirror
- March: Construction of the telescope pier, the ring wall, the utility
trench, excavation of the enclosure foundation, and drilling of the
elevator shaft begins
- September: Furnace opened to reveal first 8.4m mirror
- January: Contract for the fabrication of the bell jar along with
the mirror cells awarded to Ansaldo Energia S.p.A.
- February: First 8.4m mirror removed from furnace and cleaned
- March: Installation of the rotating part of the LBT enclosure begins
- March: Installation of septic tanks and plumbing completed
- April: Pier upper ring installed
- June: Majority of structural steel for rotating building is completed
- June: Finishing of the backside of the first 8.4m mirror completed
- December: Majority of siding for enclosure is installed
- May: Casting of the second 8.4m mirror begins
- Construction begins on MGIO utility building
- August: NSF awards Ohio State $1 million to build Multi-Object Double
Spectrograph for use on the telescope
- Construction continues on MGIO utility building
- June: Sliding shutter doors partially opened
- Enclosure completed
- August: First mirror continues to be polished, second mirror is cleaned
- November: Aluminization system testing begins at Rickenbacker Airport
- Alumnization system testing completion; system moves to Mouth Graham
- First light expected on first primary mirror
- First light expected on second primary mirror